Sunday, February 15, 2009

WISCONSIN DANCE PARTY


This is my favorite video of my family and especially my crazy dancing Aunt Celia. She was always my favorite aunt; always so kind and funny. She is doing the dance on the floor starting at 2:59.

My family every year would rent a cabin in Wisconsin. It's what you did when you were middle class in Chicago. You couldn't afford to go anywhere too fancy on vacation; so Wisconsin fishing trips were the thing. Each year my mother's brothers and sisters would rent several cabins and spend four days fishing. As I mentioned in my 25 Things About Me list... it would have been these trips that I as a small child had to be subjected to hours in the fish cleaning house.

All day fishing; Drinking and dancing all night at the local tavern. My mother can be seen coming in the door with a record in her hand following the portable phonograph. My mother still has a world class polka music collection. When I transferred these films years ago I scored them with music from my record collection. This clip I put a vocal by my mother. Pre-Karaoke, my mother and (very off-key) father sing the song in the first part of the video.

I love this because everyone looks like they are having a blast... Glad I can share this with everyone...

6 comments:

Linda said...

I just love this video. You have the best stuff, Johnny! Your relatives look like they are having such a great time and have so much energy, especially after a day on the lake. My family did the same thing. I'm originally from Ohio, so the big vacation was a trip to Lake Erie for several days of fishing and fiddling around. Thanks for bringing back that great memory.

Joel said...

I grew up in Georgia, and our families made the vacation trip to the gulf coast. I'm sure the accents and the music were different, but it was the same experience. I love this video - it reminds me so much of my youth. I miss simplicity and my Aunt Gloria, who was much like your Aunt Celia.

Pantheon Zeus said...

I will always love people and families who can make their own fun. Bless them all.

Anonymous said...

This is adorable. And you mother has great charm in her singing!

Airedale

Aaron said...

This is a lot like my Grandma's family (all deceased now, sadly). You're right, though...this is what Chicago families did--they spent time together and just had a hell of a good time.

Sadly, we're all scattered to the winds now, but when we get together, we still like to have fun!

delta-kapa said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful moment’s man!