Sunday, November 09, 2008

Too Late For Tears
Lately, I've been really into the Film Noir genre. Double Indemnity, The Big Combo, Asphalt Jungle, to name a few of my favorites. Last night I watched one that I never heard of before. And it's a doozy. It has everything that makes my little dark heart jump for joy: A cold-as-ice blond, lady-slapping bad guys, and characters who just keep digging themselves into deeper and deeper holes.
Too Late for Tears AKA Killer Bait is a hidden gem starring the 'oh so mean' Lizbeth Scott and wonderful Dan Duryea. I fell in love with Dan Duryea when I saw him in Fritz Lang's Scarlet Street (a must see classic). I didn't think I'd ever see a role where he gives a sleazier performance with snapper lines like:
Much like the great film Detour, Too Late For Tears just cries out to be discovered. It's risen high on my list of favorite films. Just classic. Noir of the Week has a wonderful review of this movie; but don't read it until you've watched it. It's also where I got the link for the film and the poster art. Check it out.
So if you have an hour and half to kill go to the player below. You can actually watch the full film, it's a little dark at the beginning. Someday I'm hoping for a restoration. This film is part of a 5-DVD set called 5 Noir Killer Classics. It's a great set because it includes DOA, Detour, Scarlet Street, The Stranger and To Late For Tears. Five films that will get you hooked on this genre.

4 comments:

Aaron said...

Thanks for posting this! I'll have to check it out...I've never seen it, although I've seen "Detour" (the leading man in that was just DREAMY, although it sure would have sucked to be him)!

Steve-O said...

thanks for the nice comment on NOTW at your blog. Too Late for Tears is a great one!

Johnny C said...

Thanks Steve-O... you've a great site. I've put it in my favorites... I've got a lot of movies to see!

David said...

I LOVE Lizabeth Scott. and have yet to see this one. She definitely had a look.