Thursday, November 06, 2008

Girl with a Cock
or
1940's Joe Average Thought Picasso was Nuts

Painting found at the abcgallery.com

In the May 25, 1940 issue of Life Magazine readers found pen in hand to comment on a feature the week before profiling Picasso and his painting Girl with a Cock. Guess what? They hate him! Ghoulish! Detestable! La Trash! 68 years later these Letters to the Editor are hysterical.













Note: I'm wondering if my hits will go up now because I have Girl With a Cock in my post.

The painting above is really called Farmer and Nude, Surrounded by Hens. 1938. Charcoal on canvas. I'm assuming this is the painting that is being referenced. I searched all over, this was the closest I could come. Girl with a Cock is referenced in many books but no on-line scans. (If anyone finds it, please pass it along.)

2 comments:

Aaron said...

I laughed when I saw the one from Jo Ann Frederick: "I know art when I see it."

So says the woman who probably painted watercolors of fruit to hang on her wall and made her dresses out of a Butterick pattern and left-over burlap bag. (It WAS the Depression, after all. Where did one go to get to "know" art?? Did macaroni and construction paper make it into the museums?)

The three women from Sing Sing were also a highlight. Here's hoping they found some rope and a river real soon after. (Actually, suicide by hanging seemed to figure into MANY of these responses--one would think that Picasso's art would appeal to the depressive.)

Brian said...

Amazingly enough, there are just as many people who would say the same thing today!!! Will we ever grow up culturally???

I am SURE the cock reference will give you added traffic!!!