Sunday, September 07, 2008


Random Records: The Peanuts

As a new feature I am going to randomly go to my records shelves, pull an album, post it, and if I can say something interesting about it. This first week is a good choice, sort of. The Peanuts and their album Hit Parade. It was an album that I'd never listened to. I believe my friend Dave gave it to me. How he ever found an album I don't have I'll never know. At first you might think you've not heard The Peanuts, but I know you have if you ever watched any Saturday afternoon UHF Japanese monster movies. Even as a small child watching it I was fascinated by these small pixies who sang to the giant Mothra.



No one can do harmony like brothers and sisters. And The Peanuts were identical twins; their vocal harmony is perfection. Add on the cool 60's sounds and they have the Pow Factor. Per the NipPop music site: The Peanuts were one of Japan’s first pop sensations, and one of the few that has become well known internationally. The duo comprised identical twin sisters Emi and Yumi Ito, born Hideyo and Tsukiko Ito on April 1, 1941 in Aichi prefecture...The Peanuts also appeared on popular US variety TV shows, including Ed Sullivan’s and Danny Kaye’s. However, what made The Peanuts most famous internationally was singing in monster movies. They were featured in, and sang the theme songs, to three Mothra movies - Mothra (1961), Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964), and Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster (1965). They appeared as fairies or pixies, called “shobijin” (small beauties) who had telepathic communication with Mothra, giving The Peanuts a somewhat supernatural aura. The Peanuts retired from show business with a sayonara appearance on Nihon TV on May 25, 1975. They exited while still young and popular, and remain fondly remembered show business legends.

Some great 60's music films of them in their prime.



Hit Parade Album Jukebox.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to have a peanut butter sandwich....

Airedale

Graeme said...

This is exactly what I needed to start off my Monday morning... thanks John! :-P

Aaron said...

Compare these two with the tragic trainwreck that was "Pink Lady" in the late 70s. (If I heard their version of "Knock On Wood" ONE MORE TIME...!)

David said...

Very cool!

cb said...

Hmmm, perhaps the Japanese name of the group doesn't translate well to english...