Sunday, September 28, 2008

Hey all...

A little catching up post...
Cleaning: The days are finally getting cooler, and I feel like I'm finally catching up on some household projects. I finally cleaned up the porch. I really don't take advantage of my enclosed porch. When I first moved in this apartment 13 years ago I had it set up as a tableau of a 50's living room with vintage TV playing old commercials, retro thin couch, paintings, etc...
As the years went streaming by the porch had become a place to throw stuff that I didn't want to deal with right now... Magazines, records, old clothes, etc. I've tried to turn it back into a place a comfortable place again and just purge the useless things. I wish I had a before photo you'd be more impressed with these photos...
Wasting Time: I've been swamped at work these last few weeks that when I come home the last thing I want to do is be creative; so my usual routine has been to sit and play Bubble Shooter. I have to be more conscience of my ability to focus my energies on things that are completely useless. I'm just addicted to this simple game where you try to get three of the same colors in a row. Try it... but be warned you'll not do your dishes for days.



Family Stuff: I visited my brother last week. And I'm pleased to say he's doing well. After two more incidents where he had to be rushed to the hospital because he was so dehydrated, but now he's stable and declared 'cancer free'. He's lost a lot of weight and is wobbly, but what a difference a year makes... I can't believe it has been a year since I was going through the whole stem cel transplant process.

I took my mother and father to his house. My mother continues to plug along, she's for the most part bed ridden, but she got up the strength to get into the car. My father on the other hand is at 86 becoming increasingly dotty. This time I learned a new thing he is obsessing about; Red lights where they have those new camera monitoring systems. He got a ticket going through a yellow light and he didn't get to the other side before it was red. I learned when driving him that his new plan is whenever he is driving and he comes upon an intersection with a green light, if he doesn't know how long it's been green, he pulls over and waits for it to turn red, then green again before he goes. This made for a very frustrating drive.

He also said something really strange to me. I dropped him off at the library to return a book. Getting back in the car he said, "Well, that's the last book I'll ever read..." Huh? He explained that there is so much to do around the house and he's been wasting time reading one or two books a day. I said that he should keep reading because it keeps his mind alert and he loves to read. But he said, "It's like I'm an addict with books, I can't stop, I'm not doing anything else..." I better not introduce him to Bubble Shooter.


Blog Updates: I finally got the Nat Goldstein tribute album to his daughter Sara Jane. She said she listened to part of it and remembered that she still has the pin they presented to her that night. I'm still a little blown away by the fact that she never heard this before and that I somehow got it back to her.


X-Files: It took me almost a full year, but I power cycled through all of X-Files. 9 Seasons! I guess I could have learned Russian with that time, but instead I followed the non-sexual adventures of Scully and Mulder. My feelings about the whole show: There were several outstanding episodes. But over-all it left me cold. When I watched all of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, even though they were fluff television, I was moved by the characters. By the end of the 9th season of X-Files I could care less what happened to anyone and their boring alien conspiracies. By the end of the series I was yelling at the screen for them to shut up. The constant whispering to denote drama was infuriating. And the music was just grating. The beginning of the show was well done, but I don't remember any of it because it became so tedious and boring by the end. But I guess I'll watch the movie when it comes on DVD. Lord help the completists!



Misc: I've been listening to self-hypnosis tapes to help me fall asleep. Not that they've ever worked, but they are relaxing and usually shut off the noise in my mind and help me relax. Usually the format for these is pretty simple. I'm told to imagine a beautiful meadow, the sun is setting, on on a warm blanket, etc... But I got one the other day, and it started out: Picture yourself on the Space Shuttle, you are hurling through blackness of space.
It was hardly relaxing...
Peace...

3 comments:

Frankie said...

I'm green with envy that you have an enclosed porch. If I had one, I would decorate it in a vintage '50s style, too. Looks good. I used to play bubble shooter endlessly, but have moved on. Now my mindless game is Webkinz. I started out playing to earn my son money, but soon bought my own stuffed animal and started my own account and my son must suffer through and earn his own money. lol

I am very glad to hear your brother is officially cancer free. I hope he gains his strength back soon. I'm glad you were able to get your parents to visit him. Aren't the quirks our parents acquire in their golden years interesting. I don't know that I would have survived a drive like you described. And it's interesting about the books. I hope he changes his mind, as reading a book or two a day is a luxury I look forward to someday.

It's amazing you touched Sarah Jane like you did. You have a wonderful, giving spirit.

Never got into the X-files, but I loved Buffy and Angel. I also like Charmed. Sounds like something cheery when the weather gets nasty this winter.

I, too, have difficulty shutting the mind off so I can sleep. Have thought about getting some CDs but I'll be very careful to look for one that does not include the space shuttle! What were they thinking? It's like they're playing a cruel joke. Let's throw in some flying, which produces anxiety in a lot of people, and then let's put them in a space shuttle and then they'll start thinking of the space shuttle exploding...yeah, that'll put 'em to sleep. Good grief! lol

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for the good news about your brother. Your Dad's red light behavior -- my God, what a story! Thanks for sharing all of this.

Aaron said...

I'm glad to hear your brother is doing well!