Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sylvia Sanders and the Tangled Web
The story of a Girl’s Struggle for a Radio Career


I'm always on the look out now for some good illustrations; and when my friend Steve showed me this book he found in the Wisconsin Dells a few weeks ago, I knew I had to borrow it and post the drawings.

Illustrated by Hedwig Jo Meixner; who made a career out of drawing successful young women. I've found that she not only illustrated the novels "Deanna Durbin and the Feather of Flame" but "Polly the Powers model and the Puzzle of the Haunted Camera" and "Sally Scott of the Waves". You can purchase some Lana Turner Paper Dolls on Amazon.

I'm sure Mike Lynch knows much more about the name of this style of illustration. The thing that I love about them are the captions beneath the drawings. Each one is a gem and tells the story of Sylvia Sander's quest to make it in the big city in the world of radio. The story of Sylvia Sanders was written by Ruby Lorraine Radford, who was part of the The Federal Writers’ Project Ex-Slaves project, in which she interviewed and complied the stories of over thirty ex-slaves in the 1930's. Click Here to read about it.

There are a ten more drawings I'll post over the next couple of days.

THE TAXI ROLLED AWAY AS SYLVIA STOOD THERE

BETH GLANCED UP SHARPLY, "WHO?" SHE ASKED.


"I'M THANKFUL FOR THE ONE GOBLET LEFT" SHE SAID
IT WAS SYLVIA'S FIRST GLIMPSE AT NIGHT LIFE
Thanks again to Steve for letting me borrow the book.

No comments: