Monday, May 19, 2008

WHITE RABBITS CAN'T JUMP

This weekend was the annual Ravenswood Manor Garage Sale. This is where my neighborhood turns into one giant sale and all the neighbors move their junk from one house to another house down the block. Really though, it's a great sale. I've gotten some pretty good bargains and have found some fun things over the 15 years I've been in this neighborhood. However, nothing could prepare me for this find. Stuck within a stack of children's books and Agatha Christie mysteries was this gem.

At first I thought it must be some joke book; but then I saw no it was a pre-murder O.J in 1991 guest starring on some children's show. I stared at it for a moment and the woman who was selling said, "I think you need to have that..." I've heard of moments when angels will tell people just what they need to hear at that moment or stop them from walking in front of a bus. I think this was in the same category. So for .25 I am now the proud owner of some of the most horrific photos of O.J Simpson and a scary giant rabbit right out of Donnie Darko. Looking at them, I'm speechless.


This reminded me that years ago when I was singing with a jazz group and doing the whole "Sinatra/Lounge Act" parody thing, I covered White Rabbit and probably sang it more times than I care to remember. In honor of this gem of a book, here is my version from around the same time as these photos.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one swings it like Johnny C...

Airedale

Aaron said...

It's sort of Stan Getz/Astrud Gilberto-ish, with its groovy saxophone and soft brushes...great cover!

Oh, and that book is beyond wrong...but in such a right way!

Graeme said...

That book! omfg. I have to track a copy of that down. ;)

barbi said...

I have one for sale.. $100..