Monday, May 26, 2008

CRUMBLING CLIP-ART



Summer is finally here, so I've been trying to clean out the porch. I've been hanging on to old paper sleeves for 78's thinking someday I'll match them back up with records with the same label. Instead they've just been baking then freezing on the porch becoming more crumbly. I think I'm finally going to let them go, but before I do, here are some images pulled from the rotting paper.



These are from an Atlantic record sleeve. Interesting naive art representations of their artists that look like they were drawn with a magic marker.






Edison Records had the most awkward slogan I have ever heard. "Comparison With the Living Artist Reveals No Difference" What a mouthful.
From an RCA Victor sleeve. I think this one is tee-shirt worthy.
Columbia Records always seem to be worn out. I don't know if it is because they were cheaply made or popular. The illustrations on their sleeves are similar to their typeface. Deep sharp lines, all in red. The artist signed the drawings, but I can't make out the name.


Mercury Records, a local Chicago label that had popularity in the 50's, gives us these drawings that are filled with whimsy. (I've always wanted to say that something was filled with whimsy.)

If you've ever broken a 78 record marked as unbreakable you've seen the mysterious 'core'. Basically a piece of cardboard. I feel like I'm holding something substantial when i pick up a 78 RPM record. I've only seen Magic Brain Victorola's at expensive flea markets. Could the makers of the magic brain even comprehend our ipods holding days worth of music?

Well back they go in the 'what to do with this crap' pile.

Side note: The weather suddenly changed this evening from balmy 85 degrees to a chilly 60 with blustery winds. All the sleves that I had piled next to my computer were blown all over my apartment like autumn leaves.

2 comments:

David said...

Johnny, I love these. They look like stamped images.

Aaron said...

These are so fascinating. I loved the old records from the 1960s and earlier, because they were so much heavier and better quality than the cheap little insoles we started getting in the late 70s and early 80s.

(Of course, none of you youngsters under 30 will know what I mean, so just read a comic book quietly until the grown-ups are done talking. ;-))