Thursday, May 29, 2008

Sentimental Cinderella

I'd forgotten all about this record until today when I was moving some boxes on my old dirty porch. This is hands down my favorite version of the tired old Cinderella story. Written by one of the women pioneers of radio Madge Tucker. She was the director of NBC's children's programming department, and also produced a program entitled "Coast to Coast on a Bus" from 1937 to 1941. Music is by Molly Donaldson. This version just zips along telling the full story in six and a half minutes and manages to squeeze in six new songs. My favorite I think is "Who's Gonna Wear The Little Glass Slipper". It's a toe tapper and will stick in your head all day long.

Although obviously made for children, the songs are sophisticated and the harmonies of the singers reminded me of the Boswell Sisters. I have no idea what year this is from. My guess is the late 1930's.
Cinderella





1 comment:

Aaron said...

I love this...a six-and-a-half minute musical that tells the entire story!

Stephen Schwartz, take note...