Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Art of Living With Yourself... 1964 Style.
I recently borrowed a bunch of ephemera-tastic instruction booklets from my friend Dan. This one is from a series of books made by The Mental Health Society of Chicago for Western Electric Company for their "Book Rack Service". I'm assuming when you had a break in their green painted brick lunchroom you'd find these in some metal rack. I suppose it's better than actually talking to your co-workers.
I've scanned the whole thing. Not only because the drawings are fun, but I love the positive pop psychology: Turn your negative energy into positive work energy; Don't take your job home; don't be an asshole; no one is out to get you; love your neighbor. These themes still can be found at least every other day on news websites.
Please note however, the very strange drawing to illustrate 'What are people thinking about me..." I'm pretty self-conscience and may worry that people think I'm fat or boring, but never someone with a giant baby's head! Enjoy... I've more of these coming soon... Stay tuned. Now remember: don't Read This Book... We're Talking to You...






























6 comments:

Aaron said...

"in their green painted brick lunchroom "

Ha Ha! I think they painted that building the same year the booklet came out! I continue to marvel every time I drive past it...I used to have a couch that color.

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks for the cartoony goodness from the past, Johnny! Of course, I posted a link on my blog to this.

mistersquid said...

Collated as a PDF.

Dios Li said...

First of all, sorry for my poor Engnlish.
Is there any way I can find this comic book?
I searched Amazon and found one book with the same title in red cover, and got a picture of hands on it. Is that the book with the same conent?

And thanks to mistersquid upstairs, I just love the PDF file, it do a lot help to me.

Anonymous said...

This booklet may be 43 years old but much of it's advice is beneficial and timeless.

Johnny C said...

Sorry Dio il, but I've no idea where you could buy this booklet. This copy isn't even mine, I borrowed it for the post.