Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The September of My Women's Household Magazines Years

Each time I do these monthly compilations of Women's Household Magazine, I'm constantly amazed by the amount of effort and energy that these women put into their hobbies. However, no one has surprised me more than Mrs. E.M. Hohifeld of Alliance, Nebraska, who like great artists before her created art with the supplies they had on hand. In her case, what she had was a sewing machine. It's astounding.

These are incredible examples of naive American folk art. If the Hohifeld family still has these sitting in an box in their basement, I suggest calling the Guggenheim for a retrospective exhibition. I'm sure they were around because according to Mrs. H. "...they can be washed in the machine if they become soiled." Try to top that Mr. Dali.





To read the full articles, click on the photos to the left.



I've not posted many of the 'All About Pets' pages. Mainly because they are pretty mundane and the photos on them are usually pretty small and fuzzy. 'Timmy the monkey' may be fuzzy, but he's definitely not mundane.


A Capuchin monkey, he lived with the Lawsons Branchville, New Jersey. His talents included using a hammer to open nuts, drinking with a straw and eating with a spoon and knife. He once almost poisoned the guinea pigs by giving them an overdose of Vitamin C.
Most endearing is his love of classic TV Shows, Flipper, Tarzan and Daktari. But that just figures, don't it?
To read the full All About Pets page click on the photo to the left.

The Belvin Family wins the award for best family group photo; the henpecked husband, the bitter wife, the darling sons, Danny and Dowey, who broke their hearts and the little girl Dana who kept her mother company when they went away.

As Ruth proclaims in her letter to the ladies, "My family is my hobby". She was way, way ahead of her time. Here is a photo with her children with their life scrapbooks. Next door to me is a storefront art studio. The instructor gives classes in scrap booking and they are sell outs every time. When I come home from work I see twenty or so ladies with their family photos gluing and pasting away. All I know is that if I was taking a scrap booking class with Ruth I wouldn't want to accidentally take her scissors.

Read the full story by clicking on the page.

Finally, I need to thank Dan Dever for lending me one of his Women's Households for this post. At that same garage sale where I fateful bought this pile of magazines, he had also purchased a few copies. I'm so happy he did because he had the issue with a "What Is Your Opinion" that I was hoping to read someday. It asks the question about reader's opinions on men with beards. The answers are classic. Especially Mrs. Violet Paulson from San Bernadino, California who writes:

Laughs are few and far between in this sad old world today, so I say be thankful for all the buffoonery and laughable sights we may chance to see --namely adolescent juveniles attempting to force themselves and their appearance on an unsuspecting and, they hope, guileless public. Their freakish and erratic and most often humorous attempts at making the world aware of their so-called 'labor of love' is amusement at it's best - and for free. The idiosyncrasy and capers of those comical 'hairy men' who advocate hair for hair's sake, are pathetic in their efforts to make known their plight, namely: LOOK at me , stare if you will because I DON'T CARE attitude.Face the facts - growing beards, mustaches etc. is the only way they know of attracting attention. So enjoy their 'turkey trot' furry pleasantries - go along with their self appointed furtherness of merry and unrestrained tomfoolery. These prodigal sons of nature in the fur, actually do nothing more than tickle the funny bone and drive dull cares away. So-titillate and smile when you see a 'reveller of the fuzz'. The Lord made some signs for amusement and the hoary antiquated looking youths of today was one of them. It raises the morale of the country so don't feel sorry for these masqueraders behind the mane - just be thankful we can still enjoy a good belly laugh one in a while. -- Mrs. Violet Paulson.

Shakespeare could not have said it better...

Click on the What is Your Opinion page to read the other comments. I hope someday to find the follow up issue which asks about men's fashions.

Until next time... happy fall.


10 comments:

Erik said...

That monkey and I loved the same programs.

I haven't seen an episode of Daktari since I was 13, but every time I see some tiger or monkey in a movie I think of all the animals put on the unemployment line when it went off the air.

Anonymous said...

Did you really mean to say "naive american art"? Because that is Awesome. I love this stuff!

Johnny C said...

I believe that's what I meant... It's when someone without any formal training paints or draws. Such as:
http://www.tfaoi.com/newsmu/nmus78a.htm

BC said...

If that were my husband, Ruth, HE would be my hobby...

David said...

Mrs. Hohifeld is my new favorite artist!

David said...

That Violet is real bitch.

Aaron said...

Jill Marie and Rebecca Jo Watts look like they're ready to film the next take of their scene in "The Shining" again:

"Come and play with us Danny. Forever. And ever. And ever."

RE: "Mrs." Violet Paulson: think some bitter hausfrau's been taking too many English classes at the local junior college?

Aaron said...

Oh my God, I just really read the Ruth Blevins article and saw that she lived in Morehead, KY. I used to live there for a year in college...small world, ain't it? (I never saw Daddy Blevins around town, though--I would've remembered HIM.)

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aaron said...

As a side note, Alice Starr of Holland, MI, is a moron. A short-sighted, old-fashioned moron, to be sure, but I guess lots of old biddies actually talked like her back then and WEREN'T being ironic. Laurie Fuchs, however, has it all together! (the Chicagoan WOULD be the one to stand out! :-))