Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Color Me Excited
day 1
This weekend I had a party at my house with some of my favorite people. Among my friends were Dan W from L.A with a collection of fabulous video variety show clips that wowed the crowd; David and Doug from Hell in a Handbag rushed from a performance of their production of 'The Birds' . (If you live within a 200 mile radius of Chicago do not miss this production; it's fantastic. Outside of 200 you are excused, but not forgiven); Cynthia Plaster Caster and Darren were delightfully charming bringing me much needed cheese and smiles. My small apartment was packed with best of friends, Dan D, Gary Airedale, Forrest, Erica, Gloria, Dave. And a welcome return to Chicago were the fabulous couple Chris Ligon and Heather McAdams.

Heather brought Dan D. this coloring book as a thank you for help he did on their house. Once I saw it I knew it was meant for my blog and asked if I could post it.

Copyrighted 1961, this book is extraordinarily smart and witty. The early 60's showed the strain on an America post-war populations that were struggling with the idea that they fought for freedom only to be forced to live in glass buildings and conform to the 'status quo'. It was the age of The Apartment and The Sweet Smell of Success; and it was Marcie Hans, Dennis Altman, and Martin A. Cohen's brilliant idea to put these ideas into the most universal of all mediums, the coloring book. I don't know how many of these copies survived so I'm glad I can preserve this in cyberspace. I give you part one of "The Executive Coloring Book"












5 comments:

Aaron said...

Papa seems to have gotten all the looks in the family...

Mike Lynch said...

Thanks so much for this. Some great laughs. This would sell today. So much has not changed -- except there are more buttons on the phones. Thank you again, Johnny C., for another rockin' blog entry. Must post a link to your good work.

PS I wonder where Mssrs. Hans, Altman and Cohen are today?

MrBaliHai said...

Brilliant stuff. Thanks!

tricky said...

Hilarious! All the stereotypes are there, still the same, 50 years on and I know they're stereotypes, but I'm so scared of them I promised myself never ever to become "one of those" ... I wonder, is there a colouring executive book for girls? not from the 60s, obviously...

Shoplet said...

Oh man this is hilarious! I'm totally posting it in our weekend roundup