Saturday, September 01, 2007

Summer Time
and the Women's Household
is Easy

I'm a day late posting the August issue, but I would be amiss if I didn't feature the Women's Household ladies in their summer best.

To start off, nothing says summer like picnics, and it's not a picnic without some sort of tuna-based meal.

How many years in the world of photography did it take until someone finally realized that taking black and white photos of food only makes them extremely unappetizing. This luscious Tuna Shortcake looks like the creature's nest from "Alien".


←click on the photos for a page full of tuna ideas!

Mrs. Warner proudly shows off a card collection and proves that 'there are still nice people in this troubled world'
and Mrs. Derr (cake baker, candlestick maker) proves that dreams can come true, even if your dream is just to show off your crafts in a cramped cellar room. I've not been to Kay's cellar room, but from these photos, I know it well. Fake brick, dust, and a well worn linoleum floor. I've seen it in many an estate sale; Strewn with forgotten Christmas ornaments for sale by the bag, I find these rooms cozy, yet hopeless.

Click on the photo to read the full article. →→→





Perhaps in Kay's craft cellar you might find something like Violet's Clown. Yes, I know it's down there waiting, waiting... oh, so patiently waiting. Won't you visit?

Besides clowns, the most unnerving thing about WH magazine are the haunting faces of these women in these photos. They are so of their time, they might as well have lived four hundred years ago and not just forty. Nothing is more disturbing than the photos in the Missing Persons section.

This month's missing person is Jean Rollins. Each one of these inquiries are so filled with pain, that there is nothing funny to say about them. I hope that Ms. Wm Rollins from Bridgeport, West Virginia finally found Jean Michela. Hopefully, in Hawaii and not in Canada.

Click on the photos below for the full Missing Persons report.








Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse Mrs. Getchell has this tale of woe.

and finally, this ad must have been a ray of hope for all these women whose quiet, average-looking husbands were struggling with their factory jobs. A way out, a way for him to use his untapped talents, and more money than he'd ever thought he'd make. "If only I can get him to read the brochure and be a success like Frank". What a scam.


Until next time...

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I think Joan "Mickey" Rollins might have been my kindergarten teacher Mrs. Pavlon...she sure looks just like her--and it was during that time, too! (I don't think Mrs. Pavlon's husband was on parole, though.)

Don't you think it's possible that the producers of "Alien" got the idea for the nest's design FROM the tuna shortcakes photo? We'll have to ask Veronica Cartwright when she's here...

Saint Pud said...

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY! You know, I never thought I'd have to see Mrs. Wamer's postcard display more than once in my life, but this just goes to show you. The cover of this delightful periodical kind of reminds me of the bar in San Francisco's Chinatown, near where I work. It's the Grassland Bar -- "where good friends and girls meet". Could it be where those missing persons lived out their horn-rimmed lives? I've never been inside, but I think I might be in for a treat the next time I wander by.

Mike Lynch said...

It's hard to make fun of this since these are real women, who have blinded themselves to their own inner horrible bleakness of their 1970s suburban lives. Damn! Keep on posting, Johnny!

Of course, I linked this at my blog too.