Sunday, September 30, 2007

Lost Horizon... This is my new favorite YouTube video. It's a rendition of a song from the 70's flop Burt Bacharach musical Lost Horizon. For those of you unfamiliar with this film, it was a Ross Hunter production with all the big stars of the day Peter Finch, Liv Ullmann, Sally Kellerman, Oliva Hussey, Michael York, and the ever present Bobby Van. It was more known for the huge amount of money it lost than for anything else. (In the trade papers it was known as Lost Investment.) However, people my age remember it fondly for it's repeated 70's TV showings.

Several years ago I caught it when it played on AMC ; and I learned that some childhood memories should be left as memories. I found it long and clumsy. As Bette Midler would joke on the Tonight Show, "I never miss a Liv Ullmann musical". One of the very awkward numbers featured in the film is this song; Sally Kellerman and Olivia Hussey sing about their two different worlds, one of work and strife the other of peace and leisure. It's a good song, with all the amazing Burt Bacharach-isms one would expect, but it's badly staged. Sally and Olivia running about in a room jumping on desks and crawling up ladders in a library, much like the dance numbers I would do in my parent's basement when I was ten. The great choreographer Hermes Pan, who had worked with Fred Astaire, was panned for his work on this film.

This morning Gary sent me this video and I've been hooked on it all day. It's everything that the musical number wasn't in the movie... alive! It's really well planned out, and makes me want to know these two Dutch guys... I hope you like it.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can watch this over and over and it always puts a smile on my face. My thanks to Forrest for showing it to me in the first place!

Gary Airedale

Anonymous said...

I love this video... it makes me happy!

Dan

Aaron said...

You should have seen Dick O'Day and Ed Jones-as-Carol-Ann lip-synching to this song at Dick O'Day's Lovely Bingo a few months ago! (Or were you there?)

Aaron said...

(Could these guys in the video be any cuter?)

Johnny C said...

I know... I actually became a little nutty about watching this thing about twenty times...