Saturday, July 14, 2007

RIP Kerwin Matthews

1926-2007

The extremely handsome star of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958), The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960), and Jack the Giant Killer (1962) and unforgettable The Boy Who Cried Werewolf (1973) was one of my first movie star crushes. I never missed a WGN showing of the 7th Voyage of Sinbad, which seemed to show every other week.
And I still can't stop looking at his eyes...
I listened to the commentary on the 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Ray Harryhausen said that they would always want to hire Matthews because he was a master at fighting with nothing.

He died in his sleep at 81, living in San Francisco with his partner with his partner of 46 years, Tom Nicoll, and two cats. I can't think of a nicer life or way to go... obit in the SF Chronicle

4 comments:

Mike said...

Aw... this stinks. Plus which, 'partner of 46 years,' I Had No Idea!

Fairly foxy, in his prime, and I have to admit that the Harryhausen/Herrmann flick was burned into my conciousness at a young age. I was a kid in the early days of cable, waaaay before the channels had their own programming- instead I grew up watching lots of great movies and the best TV from every decade...

I think I, too, first saw the Sinbad on WGN, they had a 'Family Theater' thing on Sundays intro'd by some old fellow in a blue jacket, sitting in a 'library' set... that's also where I first saw the Byron Haskins' WAR OF THE WORLDS and also Haskins' ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS (with Adam West in a bit part, and due for a Criterion DVD release in September!)

Roundabout way to say it, but thanks for hole-in-the-head. I've been reading in for quite some time now, and you always entertain me!

Again, sad news, but thanks for breaking it to us.

Johnny C said...

It is sad news... but great news that Robinson Crusoe on Mars is coming out! That's another movie that is forever etched in there. I remember begging to stay up to watch it. And speaking of Adam West, it hard to comprehend, but he'll be 80 next year!

Anyway, glad to be amusing...

Mike said...

Here's the link to the ROBINSON CRUSOE ON MARS disc... and on Criterion, no less!

http://www.criterion.com/asp/release.asp?id=404

Aaron said...

I remember that "Sinbad" flick on TV when I was a kid! I was strangely aroused at the time, but couldn't quite identify why...

(How much do I love the patch of chest hair they're showing in that top still?)