Tuesday, July 17, 2007

THE LONG HOT SUMMER OF WOMEN'S HOUSEHOLD

As the dog days of summer slowly drift by I'm pleased to give you the July issue of Women's Household. These come the from July '66, '67, '68, '70, and '72 issues.

A couple weeks ago I almost had a ephemera nightmare . We had a huge rain storm and I'd left my porch window open. I had left this collection of magazines not far from the window. But fear not, gentle reader, only a couple were damp; and I learned that Women's Household Magazines are very absorbent. But it could have been a disaster.

But not as much of a disaster as these dresses these poor women were forced to wear. Yes, Mrs. Hazel James didn't get me the money that I asked for in time so that I wouldn't post these photos.

I've featured collections before, but these are some I've missed; Starting with little Janice Howe and her bubble gum charms. The things I've learned from these magazines: Dish Rag cakes, noiseless rattles, the fact I can make money by writing brief paragraphs, and now the world of bubble gum charms. They are the toys that would come in Cracker Jack or with candy. Click here for an article on them from e-bay... and good luck on starting your own collection. If bubble gum charms are too fast paced a hobby how about unusual salt and pepper shakers. She is the 2nd woman featured with a huge collection of these things. Much like the maintaining of the Golden Gate Bridge, by the time Mrs Holbrook would finish dusting this collection it would be time to start at the beginning and dust them again.
I guess if I ever toyed with a ceramic collection I would have to go with 'lady heads'. Read my House on the Rock post to see the photos I took of their collection. Their huge collection is downright mind boggling.
Now that summer is officially here all young grads are out looking for jobs. May I suggest becoming a "Roll-On Embroidery" training instructor? It might not be a fortune 500 company job, but think of the joy in your parent's faces when you tell them how you are going to use your liberal arts degree.

This Month's Features. (click to enlarge)

I had to skip Missing Persons and What's Your Problem this month. Even more than usual, both were heartbreaking. If you must see them, e-mail me and I'll send you the story 'Where is my father" and WYP asks "I let my daughter be adopted by my in-laws, how can I improve my relations with her now." In the meantime, to the left is the lovely Bonnie Bingaman who seems to do everything including raising her own food.

What is Your Opinion asks: Should Girls Be Offered Higher Education. I say no; Not when there are opportunities like teaching Roll On Embroidery training instructor jobs are available to women without a college degree.

My Diet has an inspiring story with one of the most shocking before and after photos I've ever seen... Mrs. Imra Klentz won 1st Prize in "Best Improvement". Kudos Mrs. Klentz! All About Pets. Hello Dolly the possum. As Uncle Jed from the Beverly Hillbillies would say: "The good thing about possum is it's just as good the second day."

And for your own craft projects... Precious Pretty Dolly Dithers! This would make a great tee-shirt.

Hope your summer is going well...

9 comments:

Aaron said...

I'm with Wendy Schramm, though...sometimes you just have to get off by yourself...

Johnny C said...

Aaron: How did I ever miss that!?!!!

and do you think this is Wendy today?

http://www.cvis.org/index.php?page_id=17&staff_id=6

Aaron said...

It does look like it could be her, actually...she likes all that "outdoors-y" stuff, too!

Charlene said...

It looks like her, but on further searches Schramm appears to be her married name (she has a husband whose last name is also Schramm).

I'd love to see a larger scan of those dresses - at that small size they don't even look ugly (although I certainly take your word for it).

David said...

It does look like her...

David said...

John- that dish rag cake made my day. I love you.

Johnny C said...

Charlene: I've fixed that problem with that photo... sorry I've been having issues with the new blogger interface and photos. I think I know what I'm doing wrong now...

M James said...

No, that is not Wendy Schramm. I'm close to her and her family and I'm not quite sure why you are all so interested in her.

Wendy said...

A friend let me know of my pictures posted here. I am Wendy Schramm and those are my pictures taken at private pond in Illinois when I was a high school student in the 1970's. The photographer was a disabled man who had to spend part of his day in an iron lung. The magazine published another cover of me and one of my sister. By the way, my mother was anything but negligent!