Thursday, July 12, 2007

I think this is another test I would fail...

These moldy LIFE Magazines that have been sitting in a box for years have turned out to be a gold mine of Americana. Americans are more overweight than ever before, but thankfully dame fashion doesn't require that they squeeze their bodies into girdles and then push on themselves.

I actually have to confess, a few years ago I bought a man-girdle. Not that I'm fat but as middle age creeps up on me, so has my pants size. It's the most uncomfortable thing in the world, but it does make me sit up straight and hold my posture correctly so my clothes look less slouchy. I've just always had a fear that I'd be wearing it when someone would want to hook up with me; then having to confess that I'm wearing a girdle. Oh, the horror, the horror.

I'm going to do some sit-ups right now... Seriously...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious! I am totally impressed that you admit to have worn a girdle.

Willie said...

Do crunches and leg-lifts--sit-ups are bad for your back. Oh wait, you were just kidding, I see.

Charlene said...

With old ads you have to read between the lines. This ad has nothing to do with being overweight: it has to do with the excess skin women often have after pregnancy and nursing, and the guilt they felt about not looking 18 again.

Nowadays healthy women with money in the bank can have tummy tucks and breast lifts, but women back then only had their girdles.

Johnny C said...

Charlene: You are so right... I never really noticed that the women portrayed aren't overweight just soft... the whole poking thing is just awful...

David said...

I enjoy the commanding grip of a shape enhancer.