Friday, July 13, 2007


Hello everyone... this is Mrs. Norman Maine....

This week has been a blogging whirlwind. And it “just shows to go ya” that you never know what’s going to be a hit post. Last November I did a piece on my Women’s Household Magazines and that was a big hit, but I think the “Eyes Wide Shut” cartoons have that one beat. Mike Lynch on his blog has the history of what he calls the “viral blogosphere effect”. Meaning one person does a piece on someone else’s blog and then it’s picked up by another blog and so on.

I really couldn’t have guessed that these scans would be so popular, I mean Andy Gump!?

Anyway… it all started with the fantastic Mike Lynch making a link on his website, then Tcj.com, then boing-boing , then a wave of other sites too numerous to mention. Thank you to my fellow bloggers who (At this point in my speech, as I thank everyone who linked to me, a drunken James Mason comes up and slaps me in the face) linked to this post.

I’ve a stats counter on my site. To prove that this is a total fluke, here is a shot of my stats summary for last week… From 50 - 90,000! Even my 7th grade diary stats have gone up from 0 to 250!

I’m floored that something I half-heartedly put up on a Sunday would be commented about in Greece, Spain, Russia, and Germany on Wednesday. I mean, I did this post just because I was waiting to go to dinner and had a half hour to kill. Hence, the crappy scans I did. (Should I rescan them?) To think, I was going to put up a piece about a teenage Patricia Neal in an actor’s camp. Ironically, the next piece I did about a Munsingwear ad I thought was really funny. I made an effort to get it linked to a few ‘gay themed’ blogs; When I noticed my hits started going up that’s what I thought was happening.

It’s been a blast to see that this somehow has struck a cord in cartoonists around the world, and that I've uncovered something that was lost on the last page of a moldy magazine. One blogger even set up a flicker group based on it. Blindfolded art . But this is my favorite link by far. German Web-TV Show -- Anyone speak German…?

Anyway… all I can say “Wow…” I hope I get some regular readers out of this and I’m going to be very, very smug all weekend. Now back to our regularly scheduled blogging. I'm doing my post about my collection of zither records… that one I’m sure will be a huge hit in Alpine Europe.

5 comments:

Aaron said...

Congratulations on your rising cyber-star!

I had an antique zither once, when I was 12. I finally broke it when I kept trying to play Linda Ronstadt songs on it...

Maggie said...

You've got me now!

I like you and your blog...

Mike Lynch said...

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy or a better blog!

BC said...

Your blog is such a joy.

elnazn said...

that's awesome johnny!!! must inspire you to do more blogging.... or scanning... or estate sale driving to....... it's funny (toot my horn) but, when i saw the german thing, i went to the other story link about the 100 most famous places part, and found my videos of angkor wat splat on the front page of the angkor wat link! my wife got mad(again) that her face was out "there" in cyberspace. and i got mad cause i don't get 900,000+ visits to my web sites... u bastrd!
keep digging in those old boxes, or pulling things out of the bathroom reading section. hugs from out here.... sac.