Friday, April 20, 2007

Lush Life...

This has to be one of my top ten favorite songs. It's so evocative of that post-war angst that was often shown in movies with lots of gin and velvet. Written by Billy Strayhorn . An openly gay pioneer of the 50s, he wrote the best of that era. The first time I'd ever heard this song was by Linda Ronstadt on her her Lush Life album. Although I see now that her albums were not the best, I'm so thankful to her for introducing me to so much great music and the genius of Nelson Riddle.

Roberta Flack does a masterful version here...




Thanks for the video to DannyBoy... glad to have you back, honey!

2 comments:

musicontv said...

Thanks for giving this a post... it's great to hear it done when they GET the lyric - and for anyone who might not know, the voice at the beginning is Sir Duke...

Aaron said...

I love Nancy Wilson's version best (the jazz singer, not the "Heart" sister). :-)