Wednesday, April 11, 2007

JAYHAWKER 1928
If you want to see what people were really like during a certain year then the place to go is a college yearbook. It's where the styles are at their zenith and where somethings never seem to change. This is just part of a three yearbooks I have from the University of Kansas from 1926-28. One of the books is practically turning to dust because it got wet on my porch one spring and I put it on the radiator to dry. It's time to try to preserve what's left of the other two.

Chancellor Lindley looks like he came from central casting and was born to be a college chancellor. He just commands earnest authority.

or did he... I'm assuming this is a cartoon lampooning the chancellor.

There are dozens of pages of photos, but this one seemed to have the most characters per square inch. My dream is that Gladys and Carrie lived together in a life of peace and quiet in a small town teaching English and History. " Ol Mrs Beddow and Miss Belling never did find husbands, but they had the nicest garden in Walters, Oklahoma."

and Helen Leona Beard (what a fabulous name) I'm sure she was known for her exculsive parlor parties where she would be coaxed into singing an aria or two.

and just imagine the fun Barbara and Ruth used to have in the Bacteriology Club accusing poor Flora of being a "Sociology Spirochete carrying... Well, I just can't say it Ruth..."

This woman Josephine Dana is one of my favorite year book shots... of course her major was drama. Each of the yearbooks has a series of glamour movie star-like shots of some of the more popular girls in the school under the title "Beauties". I wonder if the Jayhawker still does this today...



Women were becoming more independent in this year of the flapper. But the group below hardly looks like the high-heeled men stompers pictured in the above cartoon...

and finally a word from our sponsor... and yes I wouldn't have believed that they sold such scandalous clothes in Kansas in 1928... Heavens... More to come...

10 comments:

Mike Lynch said...

Another terrific, thoughtful post. I used to live in Lawrence, KS and my dad taught at the University. It was a great place to grow up -- but that was in the 1970s -- all ready 50 years after this.

I agree: you look at those faces and gotta wonder what happened to them.

David said...

Flora Nell died in 1982

http://www.leavittfamilies.org/cgi-bin/igmget.cgi/n=Leavitt?I127002

Aaron said...

How about that Math major Wayne Bibb? He has that cute little smirk that just dares you play with his abacus...

The girl who sits across from me at work went to school there...she never got a yearbook, though, so she couldn't tell me if it's still called the Jayhawker. (The girl who sits behind me said they should call it the "JayWALKER.")

We should ask Taylor Ross. He went to school there, too...

Johnny C said...

According to Wikipedia they still call it the Jayhawker... they cost $50 for students to purchase.

Poor Flora Nell... I always think that every face has a story.

Aaron said...

Oh well, she had 52 years of wedded bliss before her passing. (I guess--it doesn't say when Robert Dickey died, so I assume she predeceased him.)

Anonymous said...

John I love the year book flumage. It reminds me of when my grandmother when she was a diva in the 20s. She actually won the Ms Wisconsin pageant and won a Model T Ford. I have the picture in here smelly yearbook in a plastic bag in my photo drawer. I remember distinctly the smell of booze and pot on her breath as i grew up. She use to tell us stories and i was in love with her. After her death i read her yearbook. Turns out she was a slut. See why i am evil, its genetic!
smooch Timmers

Charlene said...

I'm here late, but: Thomas M. Beck went on to get his Ph.D. in chemistry back in the early 30s. His dissertation is on Google Scholar.

Charlene said...

Oh, and Robert Dickey did indeed survive his wife. According to the SSDI, he died in 1993 at the age of 90.

Charlene said...

Also: Carrie E. Belling was a schoolteacher in Oklahoma, and according to the SSDI died in 2000 in Washington, never having married.

Johnny C said...

Charlene: I'm confused who is Robert Dickey. I did this a few months ago and I can't find him?