Saturday, March 31, 2007

Remembering Peggy Lee
In the continuing effort fill up every second of my life in front of the computer, I now present the 2nd of my Podcasts. This one is dedicated to my memories of Peggy Lee; Peggy I can honestly say is my favorite female singer. Like Sinatra she was like a force of nature that continued to grow and change throughout her career. From band singer, to sexy cabaret chanteuse, to an icon of the America songbook, she was always a class act.

As an example, listen to her sing "I've Got It Bad and That Ain't Good" like no one else...

Or her signature song "Is That All There Is?" on the Johnny Cash Kraft Show. Someday I hope to see a clear color version of this.

and the saddest Christmas Medley you'll ever hear in your life... I show as an example of what an amazing actress of a song she was... as one of the posters on youtube commented... "it gives me goosebumps". Peggy barely has any voice left in this clip; it was a particularily difficult time in her life, but the emotions behind her voice are powerful.

and finally, this song is so etheral that it can almost make you stop breathing...

As you can probably tell by now, I'm a pretty big fan...

If you want to hear me wax on some more go to my Podcast to hear "Remembering Peggy Lee"...

3 comments:

Aaron said...

Peggy Lee--the other blonde Norma!

They don't make them like her anymore...all these spindly little salad-eaters with the stylized voices are sad comparisons--jazz singers for the "sanitized" age.

David said...

Is that all there is? ;) John, when I was little Peggy Lee used to kind of freak me out.

Aaron said...

She sort of freaked me out when I was little, too! (I think it was the fact that she wore so much eyeliner, which made her eyes look very "recessed.") Also, because I remember hearing "Is That All There Is?" all the time when I was little, and it was so depressing. I associated her with recessed eyes, booze and depressing songs. :-)

Then I heard her back catalogue was I was older and fell in love with the whole thing.