Sunday, March 18, 2007

More Crumbling Beauty
or
Beauty and the Beastly Cheap Construction Paper

A few weeks ago I did a post on this found scrapbook that I found at an estate sale. Ever since I took it out of it's plastic it's completely falling apart. So I thought I'd better post a few more pages before they turn to dust.

One thing is sure Gloria Swanson was right, "Back then we had faces..." these people were dazzling.

Note: Lupe Valez is just right of Reginald Denny. She died in an horrible way. (via http://www.grimsociety.com)/"She had planned a beautiful tableau for reporters to photograph - flowers and candles surrounding the bed on which she laid after taking an overdose of sleeping pills. But it didn't work that way - her last meal (a huge Mexican feast) didn't agree with the sleeping pills. She groggily made her way to the bathroom to throw up, but the pills kicked in and she passed out with her head in the toilet and drowned. Not exactly the pretty picture she had imagined. " I'd also heard she wasn't trying to kill herself, but just wanted to make a show for her lover. He didn't show on time and she tried to make herself throw up and then drowned... but still, 'what a way to go'...

One Hour with You is a great movie... It's terribly risque, it's all about a happily married couple who are tempted with other sexual possibilities. Maurice sings a song which basically says, "I love my wife, but I can screw this other woman, what should I do... I'll screw".

The person who put this scrapbook together certainly had an eye for design; just look at how the glamorous starlets are framing Claudette Cobert.


And DAMN... Douglas Fairbanks Jr. was absolutely gorgeous!

More to come...

8 comments:

David said...

Doug was gorgeous until the very end. He was so handsome and suave. That's why Joan married him!

Aaron said...

Maybe also because he had problems with his parents, the same as she had with hers-perhaps there was a "kindred spirit" factor there.

But probably, it was mostly about sex.

dirk.mancuso said...

That Lupe Valez thing is just...disturbing.

Any more stories like that?

Aaron said...

Tons. Especially when barbiturates and vomit are involved. We can look forward to more, too, especially with today's pack of celebs!

David said...

Somehow the so called 'stars' of today just seem like so much nothing.

Aaron said...

True. If you're going to be a pill-popping junkie with a needle in your arm, I'm all for it, so long as it inspires a burst of creativity (after all, I loved Janis Joplin as much as anyone, and who hasn't grooved to The Rolling Stones?).

But if they don't produce culturally iconic work that stands as its own sound byte in future generations--well, just, you know, flush 'em.

BC said...

I love these pics, Johnny. I love your new pic, too.
Dirk- have you ever read Hollywood Babylon? Many terrific horrific star stories from days gone by.

BC said...

Pince nez!!