Sunday, February 04, 2007

My Favorite Aunt

My favorite aunt passed away this week at the age of 90. Aunt Cecila was always fun to be around; she had a soft purr of a voice, not unlike Peggy Lee. During the 60s, our families would rent cabins in Wisconsin; While everyone was on the boats fishing Aunt Cecila and I would sneak back into the cabin to watch Liberace. Her husband (my mother's brother) Tony was a loud, obstinate, hard drinking Polish man who hated that she wanted to spend her time watching movies. I remember him crashing into the cabin once and slapping off the television telling her not to watch that 'fairy' and to go do the dishes. I think that was the same summer she accidentally dyed her hair bright green.

(Uncle Tony - Seen here smashed at one of my parent's New Years Eve parties)

I hadn't seen her since Tony's funeral about 20 years ago. But my memories of her are always of an extremely kind and full of life woman. I have a great 8mm film of her crazily dancing around like a flapper in one of those Wisconsin cabins. I think that's how I'll remember her...
RIP Aunt Cecila.

10 comments:

Katharine said...

I am sorry to hear about your aunt passing. This is a wonderful tribute to her spirit.

Graeme said...

This is a great post, per usual!

David said...

Isn;t is funny how all of our favorite aunts have great hairdos?

Marna said...

Sorry for your loss, John. She sounds great. It's good to have had people like that in our lives.

Mark said...

sounds like a real doll

Aaron said...

She sounds like a neat lady. Sorry to hear about her passing...it sounds like she had 20 peaceful years, at least! :-)

I love the picture of her and Uncle Tony. She DOES have an awesome hairdo. My grandmother had that same sign in her kitchen ("Kissin' don't last...cookin' do"). I wasn't sure what that said about her marriage to Grandpa, but they had two kids, so something must have been right!

Johnny C said...

Actually Aaron, the man with my Uncle Tony isn't my aunt who died. She was Lucille, a friend of the family. She actually is still around and doing well; And I kid you not has almost the same hairdo...

Aaron said...

Well, of course! Once you find a crown like that, how could you give it up? :-) I love the picture of your aunt dancing...my aunt Ginny used to do that. She loved to go to the Pershing Ballroom every Saturday night--my Grandma would tag along, she says.

david said...

i liked it

david said...

that was amazing