Tuesday, January 09, 2007

IN THE NEWS - Tragic Death of Nikki.


Ever since I read the news that the daughter of Burt Bacharach and Angie Dickinson committed suicide I haven't been able to get the song "Nikki" out of my head. I'd say it's my favorite Bacharach song; It was the theme to the ABC Movie of the Week. I hadn't known that it was written for his daughter who had Asperger's syndrome. A condition that I had never heard of until a couple months ago when during a cocktail party someone brought up how he'd gone to a book sale and there was a table of books all about Asperger's syndrome. We discussed the symptoms of the disease: Being obsessive, unable to have empathy, unable to look people in the eye. We talked about how that could apply to almost everyone's boss. Sam said, "You'll see, now where ever you go you'll hear about Asperger's syndrome.

My heart goes out to Burt and Angie. Who knew that behind those sparkling smiles and white silk pant suits they were dealing with a child with a mental illness; Sailing on a white yacht, smiling for the camera while they drank their Martini and Rossi Asti Spumonti. Sometime in the 80s I remember Burt on the Tonight Show singing one of his terrible songs he'd written with Carol Bayer Sager. My mother said, "He hasn't written a good song since he broke up with Dickinson." And I believe it's still true.

But "Nikki" the song is a gem and it's even more poignant to know that it was born out of worrying about their sad daughter. RIP Nikki...

Click here to hear Ed Ames sing "Nikki". ...
Thisislondon.co.uk article on Nikki Bacharach

5 comments:

David said...

Poor Angie.

mike a. said...

that's the BB song i want to cover

Stuart Mackinnon said...

Thanks so much for posting the mp3. I have been looking for the vocal version of this song for a long time. Never knew it was Ed Ames.

Joe said...

I don't know why the Ed Ames version of this has become so rare. My copy was destroyed (along with the rest of my music collection) by hurricane Andrew in 1992. Thank you so much for your thoughtful post.
Joe Sammarco, Miami, Florida, U.S.A.

Landsart said...

Thank You for posting this song , I have been trying to find this Ed Ames Version