Sunday, December 10, 2006

MY COLLECTION IS MOLDS!

One of the most charming aspects of "Women's Household Magazine" are the sections where the 'ladies' send in photos of themselves surrounded by their collections.

As a fellow collector of stuff, I can understand their predicament of how to show of your collection of which you are so proud. Sometimes all you can do is smile, point and say "Hello World --
MY COLLECTION IS MOLDS!"



Bertha Browder's collection of fancy tall bottles is pitiful. It think she just submitted this photo as an excuse to show off her gams. But I think her picture of the bleak landscape of Mars made from scraps and shells is beautiful.


Mrs. Horvath's family probably scoffed at her fine collection of stuffed animals, but I hope someone kept the Beatles stuffed toys.

Anna Mary's collection shows that crafts are not for sissies. I can feel my fingers being sliced open just looking at this picture.



I much prefer the soft craft of fancy work.

Now as a collector of all sorts of strange recordings this collection is of special interest to me. My parents always had tape recorders around and we were constantly taping something; a message for my brother in the army, Christmas morning, or just screaming into the mike as loud as possible. But I've never heard of tape sharing clubs. I have one cassette that might come close, from the 70s a senior couple in Florida sent a tape to their friends in New York. A large part of the tape was the wife doing dishes and her husband yelling at her to come in the other room and to say something.



Anyone have any tape pals tapes? Or was 'tape pals' a euphemism for something else. In which case I really want to hear some of these recordings.

4 comments:

Heather said...

"I have one cassette that might come close, from the 70s a senior couple in Florida sent a tape to their friends in New York. A large part of the tape was wife doing dishes and her husband yelling at her to come in the other room and say something on the tape."

Dear god, post it!

David said...

Taping? What the hell? Tell me more. Love this post, BTW...

Mr. Pussypants said...

oh my..

Graeme said...

Well, they start off as innocent tape pals, and they tell themselves that they can stop anytime they want, but isn't taping really a gateway to something more swinging and sinister, like swapping "tape pal" wives or something? "Tape Pals End In Tape Divorce"... :-P