Tuesday, November 07, 2006

RIP Paul Mauriat 1925 - 2006

One of my favorite Easy Listening artists died last week, Paul Mauriat. Love is Blue could be called the Easy Listening Anthem. It was recorded by everyone, but the original Mauriat is the definitive version, with the opening phrase played on the harpsichord, reminds me of smoke filled Saturday nights with relatives over playing cards with his music being played on WLAK (The Sixth Great Lake) easy listening station. His sexy painted women album covers are classic.



Here are two versions of Love is Blue: The Ray Charles Singers (click here)and The Ray Conniff Singers (click here)

















6 comments:

David said...

I LOVE the Ray Connif singers. The Christmas album straight from a Lynch film.

katharine said...

I love the video; it's sad to see Paul Mauriat pass on.

Anonymous said...

I loved the instrumental version the best! Mauriat's own, that is...nothing else can touch it. When I was a kid, my mom had one of those Columbia House 60's collections, and I played that song until it wore out. That and Lulu's "To Sir With Love." Yeah, I was funny that way...

curtsy said...

Personally, I favor the Electric Concept Orchestra version (NOT to be confused with ELO.) Other "switched-on" selections from their LP "Electric Love" include the uber-standard "Going Out of My Head", "The Look of Love" (NOT the ABC hit but the Bachrach/David composition), Serge Gainsbourg's "Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus", the classic melody to stalk by "Misty", "Romeo & Juliet Theme", "Like a Lover", the wicked Jimmy Webb's "Wichita Lineman", "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me", "Stella by Starlight", and still more Bacharach for good measure with "This Guy's in Love with You."

knee-jerk said...

Upon further reflection, I much prefer Al Casey's Exotic Guitars' version of "Love is Blue" or Hugo Montenegro's indelible rendition.

Anonymous said...

Hi John, thanks for the tunes. I'm putting my two cents in for The Ray Connif Singers. This is my first visit to your blog. I like your flow.

Don't Panic!
Bobby
42