Wednesday, August 09, 2006

La Scopitones

In its day Club Berlin was the hippest place to dance and be seen. I've not been there in years because the medium age is about 26. However in the late 80s, early 90s I was what could be called a regular. During that time spinning music and showing fabulous videos was DJ Bobby Marley. Bobby's speciality was playing not the usual fare for a dance club. Wednesdays were Horrible Hits nights with songs like "Seasons in the Sun", "Xanadu" or "Shaft" played through the enormous sound system for everyone to dance too. She also was a master at putting together wonderful video montages. I think it was there that I realized that "Mommy Dearest" was camp Click here to see one of her video concoctions. One of my more lucid memories at Berlin was the night I saw my first Scopitone. DJ Bobby showed Lisa Stansfield's video for "All Around the World" and morphed it with Kay Starr singing "The theme from Around the World in 80 Days". I was mesmerized... What was this strange filmed 60s music video? Years Later I discovered that they were called Scopitones.

If you've not seen one, you have not "seen" music. They are colorful, campy, sexy, and have a guarantee of instantly making me happy. Just see for yourself... I'll be posting some of my favorites throughout this blog... You just got to love the internet... these Scopitones were like gold to see 15 years ago... now they are just a click away.

A few examples:

Don't Fall in the Pool...


This guy's voice makes me pee...


Lovely Joi Lansing Trapped in the Web of Love


Enjoy!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Crap! They always try to say that that "Penny Lane" movie is the first "Music Video"!

I like Scoppitones much better!

Julie said...

Crap! They always try to say that that "Penny Lane" movie is the first "Music Video"!

I like Scoppitones much better!